What do you do with students who have difficulty staying in the classroom? It is not possible to keep some students in the classroom with stern warnings. Also, that requires my stern face, which promotes my wrinkles! Here are some ideas to try:
- Offer an incentive for staying in the classroom e.g. just 5 more minutes and then the class is having free time for 5 minutes.
- Offer a safe place to go. Have a few places where other teachers have agreed to have the student come when they need a break e.g. the library, helping in a kindergarten class, getting a drink of water and coming back.
- Offer an activity they can do in the hall, where you can see them from your vantage point e.g. exercise, reading, listening to music.
- Offer to have them help you e.g. put up student work in the hallway, filing, handing out papers.
- If all else fails, call the office to let them know the student is wandering the hallways. They will likely not be surprised.