1. Don’t (take attendance). Ask a student who’s sitting quietly to show you who is away on the attendance sheet.
2. Count how many students are in the classroom to find out how many are away that day. Ask students to raise their hands to tell you who is away.
3. Say the names backwards and have the student say their name forwards.
4. Say the letters of the name in a mixed up order and the students say their name.
5. When you call the student’s name, they tell you one thing they ate for breakfast.