There is often not much call for Substitute Teachers in September. So how do you advance your career and get work in September?
1. Sleep in – your Employment Insurance hasn’t run out yet – why sweat it?
2. Volunteer – now is the time to get to know teachers and schools, see how a teacher handles the first day of school and the first week – hand out your card. They are more likely to use you as a substitute if they know you and that you’re not crazy!
3. Take a Vacation – see #1.
4. Network a.k.a shmoozing – call teachers and principals you know, let them know you are available. Ask people to introduce you to teachers they know.
5. Get a part time job. Ok, so this isn’t all that exciting but if you really need the money, think of places that need extra help in September – like university book stores – and give them a call.